Saturday, September 5, 2009

Hello world!!!!!!

I know I've been MIA big time, but sometimes life gets in the way and it just can't be helped. We've just finished up our 3rd week of school here already and Labor Day for us, in this houshold; is truly a cherished day of rest and replenishment.

My 18 year old Austen appears to be survivng the first few weeks of university life. He has made it to all his classes and seems to be getting the hng of being on his own. I posted a pic of me presenting him with his afghan on my last post. He was thrilled with it. I got a picture of their dorm room and it was draped over a chair in plain view. High praise from a teenager!!! The cutest remark about it came from his roomate who exclaimed in disbelief; "You made that? From nothing?" We all had a good chuckle and I then explained to him how I did it. Austen is used to seeing me create things, but his roomate had never seen a homemade item.
Skylar and Austen



I haven't really tackled any big projects lately. I've been planning a few, day-dreaming about a few, but nothing has got my up on my hooks and needles yet.

I noticed Christina's post about her tomatoes and here's a pic of mine. Our plant has been battered, bruised, and almost died when it was a wee one, but here it is with 6 tomatoes in the wings. I hope they can get ripe before the first frost. LOL


I did treat myself to 2 skeins of LYS yarn. We have a shop near here that's not great, but it'll do when I need a fix of the "good stuff". It's a wool with a speckles of color through it. Here is the scarf I'm making from it. I got the pattern over at Ravalry, its called Drop Stitch scarf.

DH and I went and saw Julie&Julia last night. I was in heaven. Such a great escapist movie. Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci just transport you to another time and place. 5 stars from me!!!

Hello to all and it's good to be back!!


7 comments:

Crafty Christina said...

That is definitely high praise from a teenager! Glad to hear you are both settling into the new school year. We start this coming Wednesday.

I'll cross my fingers that your tomatoes ripen soon.

Ooh, I saw that pattern for the scarf and want to try it soon.

Gloria P. said...

Hello Caroline:
I have missed you! Your like the 3rd person who gave Julia and Julie the thumbs up....I believe I will go see it tomorrow afternoon.

Great pic of you presenting your son with his KS Afghan, you have a very handsome son and you must be so proud that he is attending college.

Your Classroom curtain came out great and the Piniata is a great touch.

I have finally have someone who offered to help me learn to knit!

Keri said...

Hi, Caroline! I've been waiting and waiting (not so patiently) for you to post again. I figured you were busy with back-to-school things . . . not only getting your kids back into the routine, but getting your room ready and meetng your new students. You already know, but I will reiterate how much I LOVE your KSU afghan, and I knew it would be a big hit with Austen. That's funny that his roommate was so amazed at your creation. :)

I have a few questions to ask you about the afghan. I am working on one with "SOONERS" graphed in the middle. The top and bottom will have red and white stripes.
1. I'm assuming you did your graph in single crochet?
2. Did you go back and forth, right to left, then turn, or did you work in right-to-left rows and start over on each row?
3. Did you crochet over the unused color and carry it along the back?

This is my first attempt at a big graph, and even after reading blogs and info at Crochetville, I'm still unsure about how to proceed. If you can find a minute, would you mind emailing me and enlightening me on some of my confusion? My email is savagr8@greytmedia. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Keri

Keri said...

Sorry, my email is savagr8@greytmedia.com. :)

Keri said...

Hi, Caroline! I got a notice in my email that you had left a comment, but I didn't receive an actual email. Let me make sure I gave you the right addy:
savagr8@greytmedia.com

Thanks!

Keri said...

Hi, again, Caroline! Sorry to be such a pain in the behind. I'm still getting the notification that you've left a comment on my blog, but I'm not actually receiving an email. I apologize for the trouble.

Keri

CraftyAshley said...

Hope you had a nice weekend! Love all your pics!
That is awesome that your son loves his afghan and also a little sad that his roommate hasn't ever had anything handmade.
Glad you made it through the first few weeks of school!